Thread: APT SmartCarb
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Bottom of page 19 on my thread..

And quoting Corey from another forum I frequent...

"No worries, yours were actually pretty mild. I've gotten used to the panic emails and sometimes venomous phone calls. I apologize I sent you the wrong dimensions knowing the new R080 rod is a little over 5mm longer. The angle is the same relationship as the original A100 Red and I arrived at for this family of carbs. I was always afraid of the A100 because in a 40mm if someone clicked the metering close to full rich it could come out of the nozzle and hang wide open.

Here's the deal on the metering rod length confusion. Our first run of billets all had A100 metering rods. The manufacturer informed us they would not do the retainer and threaded features because of their capabilities and process. OK...., so we wound up soldering tops onto them to make a complete metering rod to finish the build. The soldering process was not very precise length wise so some people wound up a 70 clicks and others at 55 or so.

Next go round we have new process metering rods made, called R080 but same length as original A100. We test a few variants find what we want and order 500. We make the drawings and the actual rod .200" to take care of the 40mm issue. The machine shop then promptly f*&@'s up the order and we receive L080's. (The difference between the R and L refers to rich and lean and has to do with where we locate the grind of the flat on the rod in relation to where we want the low speed settings to be. So...here we go again, we wind up sectioning the L080's to make R080's that we can sell. Again another tacky fix that is driving me completely insane.

Finally we have made a fixture that can replicate many metering rods at one time and for the first time we have metering rods that we can set in the same position, number of clicks and have uniformity across the board.

With all that said it has been made perfectly clear to us by KTM that what has limited them the most from adopting Lectron back in the day and clearly us today is that they simply could not get consistency across the board to be able to tell people you need 60 clicks or 40 or whatever. The tricky multi angles on a Lectron carb metering rod will in my opinion forever keep them from achieving this. The venturi signal density is the answer and the ability to run a single grind metering rod is a tremendous advantage and is necessary if we have any hope to compete emissions wise with FI.

Let me know your final setting with that funky fuel from down unda"