View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 11:40 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

You are fortunate that you approached this forum early. You have a chance to learn to ride with Good technique rather than have to unlearn bad habits. There are loads of YouTube vids and DVDs (Gary semics, Shane watts etc) that will help you understand the correct position. You need to practice the correct positions to the extent that they become your goto "oh sh!t" position. Standing is one of the most important skills to learn. I was fortunate that I started on an '82 xr200 with terrible suspension so if I didn't stand the bike would kick me off at any opportunity - this is most likely why GG decided not to put any cushioning in their seats, they don't want you to use them ;-)

While I agree fitness is very important I think I have learnt more being unfit When I had my first child all else stopped but I stubbornly continued racing tough enduros and I quickly learned that if I was going to survive the laps I would need to make all climbs in one go without having to return to the bottom and do over or fall and have to pick the bike up. It quickly became 110% concentration to recall and enforce everything I had read and heard about dirt biking and taking a minute to select good lines. With fitness I would most likely have bulldoged my way through everything. Now that I have proven to myself that the theories work in practice fitness will help me do it quicker and more often