Thread: Smart Carb
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Well I finally got my head cut. I called the most local shop I could, Bill Bune in Minnesota. I talked for a bit, and they seemed knowledgeable. They actually wanted the piston as well so they could change the squish angle to 2 degrees from the piston dome angle. They recommended .040" squish clearance, to which I said perfect. I went through all the extra trouble to pull my jug, drain coolant, etc. 2 weeks go by, and I was out hunting. I had killed a turkey just 10 minutes earlier, and I was packing up when they called. The guy said my squish angle was 15 degrees, and my piston 10. As well my squish was about .090" (Which is true, I measured my solder tests before I sent them). I said, cool, please CC the head so I can keep the compression the same. Guy says he plain cant do it. The clearance is too big (no S&!t, that's why I sent it in), and there is nothing he can do for my squish angle. I said talk to your boss and call me back when you figure something out. Later that day I get a call from another guy saying my head was ready, should he ship it back. I told him that it couldn't be, I was told it was impossible. I talked with the original guy and he had cut my head down .030", and cut some of the dome out. I should have took a picture. All they did was put it in a lathe, and spend about 30 minutes cutting it. They never did CC my head, but they sure took my $100. What they did, I could have done myself on any lathe, and should have. Absolute waste of time and money. Do not use Bill Bune in Minnesota.

Anyway I got it back together, and running. Its not quite ready for a ride yet, but first impressions are not great. It pretty much runs the same, has to idle high or it dies.