View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendr3702 View Post
my son was never interested in working on bikes either. If it got done, i did it..... but it was if I wanted him to go ride with me or not.... that did not make it any less frustrating, but that was just the way it was.
Here I thought it was just me with that type of kid

lukemonroe,
I split the case on my '00 to replace the crank bearings. Other than the flywheel puller (standard KX puller) and a modified steering wheel puller in order to split the case there was nothing scary or hard about it. I left all of the transmission parts in one side of the case (don't remember which) so there was no table full of parts to reinstall. Just the clutch basket, kickstart, waterpump and a few misc items. The dealer I was buying parts from back then even told me to skip replacing the shift, countershaft, and kickstart seals if they weren't leaking. I didn't replace them (not even the water pump seal) and the bike still doesn't leak. This was about 3 or 4 years ago. I did clean the seals that were exposed though. I think the bearings were about $60 but in your case have Ron at RBDesigns supply and replace them. Reuse a few parts and you will save a lot of money (exhaust o-rings included) Of course change the crank seals though. The rest of them are easy to acces if needed at a later date.

I weaned my kid off of a TTR also and he has been extremely happy also.
We're here for ya'

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)