View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Sure, its all relative. At 5'9", a submount's height increase is huge in feel. Less so 6'+. I raised my bars with shims just enough to get the tool on the PFP adjusters with the Flexxbars.

Pivot pegs seem to make leaning foward over the bars a lot more natural, without being hunched over as you say.
Glenn, I am actually surprised by this as I am 5'10" and really like the height that I have now due to the Mount/Riser/Bar combo that I have now. I agree that it is a personal choice but I wouldn't have thought that the 1" difference between us would equal that difference in feel.

the first prototype that I made [much lower profile], was used in conjunction with the Scott's top clamp/riser setup [all I had on hand at the time] had the bars so much higher that I was cramped when standing and just plain weird when sitting. I experienced the weird arm stuff that you were speaking of so badly that I had to pull out of the HS after one lap to keep from killing myself.
It did provide crucial information as to what I need to do and thus the final product was achieved.

I am using my mount w/ a KTM stock bar clamp [currently 7/8, the 1-1/8 I have is same height] w/ Pro Taper Yamaha Mini bars. This combo achieves a height difference of about 13mm above stock without a mount and gives the option of #3 or #4 bar positions just like the Scott's did on my old KTM.

I found the stock position to be too low and close in for my liking when sitting or standing in rough terrain. The slightly more forward #3 position and added height [from the sub mount] really made my preferred riding positions feel very neutral and natural.

The purpose of this was not to start a debate, that is why I kept the question/poll to a very simple Yes/No. I know that a lot of people like the bling but quite honestly, I have never found a nice bling top clamp [keeping std geometry] that actually improved my ability.

The damper on the other hand I feel has.