View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Thanks fergus I will give that a try but by the sounds of it this second hand front is maybe no good.I may go back to a UHD front tube.
Barry, I bought the bike and it had had a total rebuild from what I was told but I could never get a definite answer as to bottom end.
I did one full season and a few trail rides with it and checked th piston through the exhaust port.All seemed ok so I was going to wait until the 24hr race we had a month ago and freshen it up then.
In the second race of this season the bike nipped up(so I thought) and I couldn't start it.Upon disassembly we found the ignition side main crank bearing had disintegrated.
We checked and washed out everthing and replaced both mains as we had to leave for a week long preplanned bike trip the next day.
I did this trip and then a 2 day race and have now pulled it down completely and rebuilt it.
As I was putting it together I basically cleaned everything thoroughly and checked and double checked evrything( mostly cos this is the first total rebuild I have done).
The power valve bearing were gummed up to the point that if you tried to spin them in your hand ,they wouldn't.Needless to say the do now and I suspect that this and the thorough cleaning of the head etc together with a new plug and a well sealed exhaust all make it that bit snappier .
The other thing I noticed was that when it was pulled down the reed spacer to reed block gasket was installed back to front or upside down and was actually blocking the airway by about 8mm( effectively 15%).
Sorry to ramble on but that is what I did and all of the above has really made it a lot better.
In my opinion, check through the exhaust , but in future if I am wondering about it then it is probably due and I will be doing it.
Cheers Mark