View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd View Post

As far as jetting goes - given the same bike and rider - there are multiple ways to "skin a cat". I think Ian is missing something - it is that you can choose to use a richer needle (and maybe slide) and a leaner pilot, like a 38 (typical of stock gasgas jetting) Or you can use a leaner needle (and maybe slide) along with a richer pilot (like a 45). Both, LTR (for gasgas)and JD jetting (for ktm) use the latter method.

On edit - one advantage of going leaner on the needle and richer on the pilot (with proper idle and airscrew adjustments) is that you get greater sensitivity on adjustment of the pilot circuit. E.g. the air screw has greater effect and it is easier to dial in the jetting right off the bottom with quarter or a half a turn on the airscrew, etc.

jeff
I dunno Jeff I have played with jetting quite a bit since I've had the bike. Followed other's advice and no matter what notch I stick either the LTR or F needle it will not run clean off the bottom with a pilot bigger than a 40. Are you talking of using a leaner needle or just using them on the 1st notch? Now I know for many here they can get a solution with a much larger pilot but I can't with the needles mentioned. In fact I have just ordered a 35 pilot to try as I still feel it's too rich off the bottom - I mean real bottom like around 1/16 throttle opening. That area is quite important in the UK with tight woods and slippery mud conditions.

If I ever get the chance I will hand the bike to a professional and see how he jets it. I don't mean a run of the mill dealer though as I doubt they'll get any better but if I ever come across a 2 stroke factory race team mechanic. You know the sort of guy that opens a suitcase of needles, jets and slides and takes all day with you at an enduro track.

Not sure I could afford it though!