View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 AM

Default Help with SM 125 Halley wiring

Hello guys,

A few months back, I started having an issue where my headlight would go dim and the LED tail light would stop working altogether, it kind of fixed itself after I washed my bike and I just thought nothing of it. After a while, it started blowing my light bulbs whenever it was raining and the bike got wet, or they would just go dim like before and "fix themselves" after a while. I tried spraying contact cleaner on every single connector in existence on the bike and it didn't fix the issue so I stopped replacing the blown bulbs since it got cold and I wasn't riding it anyway.

My bike used to have an electric auto lube pump which was removed by a previous owner, the control box for that pump started smoking one day and the dashboard (Trailtech Vapor) would not work above a certain RPM. I rushed home since I was less than 500m from my garage and removed the control box. The dashboard started working fine after that.

On the next ride, after doing a few 9,000 - 10,000 RPM revs, the dashboard started having issues again, it would not work below say 3,000 RPM and the back light wouldn't turn on until 4,000 - 5,000 RPM. This lead me to believe that I was getting low AC voltage to the regulator, so I decided to check. I measured the voltage between the white and yellow wires and I got a reading of 3 volts when at idle and 9-10 volts while on the pipe, way too low.

I tore the bike down and started cutting the rubber around the wiring loom exposing the wires. I started to check for broken insulation or shorted wires and found none. I decided to hook up the regulator to the bike and test everything. Immediately after starting the bike the regulator started smoking so I shut it off and upon closer inspection I realised that I had switched the yellow and white wires around at the connector right before they enter the loom. I reversed them so that they are connected correctly and tried again, same result. I measured the voltage across the 4 wires that my regulator connector has (Red, Black, Yellow, White). Yellow-White, again 3 volts AC at idle, but measuring Yellow-Black I got a much higher reading which reached 40v AC when revving.

I have a Kokusan ignition with 5 coils (I think) on the stator. I measured the resistances and according to a diagram I found on the internet, they are within range.

My main question is, what are the different wires for?
Red and Green - Hall pick up
Red/Black and Red/White - go into the CDI box
Yellow - Lights??
White - ???

Also, the Red and Black wires which are presumably 12V DC, only go to the Vapor and the "Oil level warning" LED. Do I have another regulator for the lights?

Sorry for the long post.