View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 12:46 AM

Default Bearing bind on rear wheel

Alright.... good news from the north

Rebuilt the 06 GG250EC over the winter, new everthing from the rear linkage back... last item on my list was to swap out the rear wheel bearings and seals with new ones, same problem arose with the wheel drag at only 30lbs on the nut....never had this issue before.... back apart it came and onto the forum we go to find out what I missed??

Here is what we have boys....The old hub washer between the sprocket side bearings was the issue causing the binding.... you need a new one!

1.The washer is machined flat (no bend) from the factory
Washer size new.......
- Thickness 2mm centre (.078").........This one is important!!!
- Thickness 1mm outside (.039)
- Steps are the same diameter 29.50mm (1.162")
- Steps are incut 0.50mm (.020") both sides
- OD overall @ 41.80mm (1.627")
- ID 20mm (.787")

2.Over 10 years of re torquing the rear axel nut to 60lbs with tire swaps it slowly bends the washer over due to the slight difference in the two sprocket side bearings ID differentials, making it look bent. (should not look that way)

3.The washer slowly looses its original factory 2mm centre thickness and at the same time slowly increasing the tolorances in the outside sprocket side bearing.

4. The slow over time wear on both the washer and outside bearing allows the wheel to to stay free when 60lbs is on the axel nut and everyones happy.

5.One day we notice the outside bearings getting noisy and we decide to change it because we should and wham..... new bearings, seals and the old bent washer all installed, new tire as well..... 60 lbs on the axel nut and she binds???

6. What just happened is you have just side loaded the new outer bearing, sprocket side with the loss in washer thickness, maybe only a .05 mm or a few .001" for you americans, but in bearing world its enough side load on the bearing to cause the binding issue. Go riding with side load on that bearing and you will have pre mature bearing failure for sure... not good!

My advice is to always replace the washer (part#58) or as they call it Interior Hub Washer on the parts list, when replacing rear wheel bearings and seals. You may also want to replace your newly installed outer sprocket side bearing again if you have removed it to install the NEW Washer, as you more than likely damaged it pulling it out by the inner race, your call? 10 bucks well spent in my mind!

My bike is fixed and ready to roll. Hope this helps.

GG Loops