View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypipo View Post
I?m not sure if it was from the metal hook vibrating, heat transferring from the engine to the hook, or a combination of both. My solution was to cut the plastic hook off of the stock skid plate and drill holes in it to mount to the SXS skid plate. I will also use some 2 part epoxy on the chassis after I get that taken care of.
The paint comes off of every offroad bike in that spot because dirt gets between the hook and the frame and gets ground in with vibration and impacts. It will happed with the jimmy rigged plastic hook as well.

The hook replacement is a bad idea. It will likely cause you way more headaches than a little surface rust that isn't hurting anything but show bike value anyway.

Plastic frame hooks are junk and that's why every "economy" junk plastic skid plate has them instead of machined aluminum or derlin one. When they fail they tend to cause more damage as the skid plate gets ripped off.

Your top of the line SXS glide plate has that machined aluminum frame hook for a reason.

PS, I've done the tape thing and it's no better. The sand can't wash out of it after it's ground in to the tape so all you have done is put sand paper between the frame and clamp.
I've also done the hose wrap which brought about it's own issue of then making a gap between the belly of the skid plate and the frame rails. I hated the clank or slap sound that made every time I made contact with a rock etc.
In the end I just decided that the little wear on the frame is going to have to be accepted if I'm going to ride the things off road.