Thread: clacking noise
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpduc View Post
"Excessive" endplay seems to be normal. I'd say mine has a good 2mm. And mechanically I think it would be hard for end play to produce that clacking.
It almost sounds like a flutter - it's not regular (in time with the engine or tire rotation or anything else that would be happening at a steady pace).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpduc View Post
I've even confused chainslap from someone else's bike with motor noise on mine. Last enduro the guy ahead of me on a transit section had horrible chainslap... we were both getting on and off throttle in such a way that I'd have sworn that noise was coming from my bike when letting off throttle, and that she was going to blow any minute... I finally got up close to him and could see his chain rattling and put 2 and 2 together.
...traffic the other day, I could swear I was about to have to do the brakes on my truck again - whoever it was was squeaking every single time I hit my brake pedal. Point well taken - last time I rode it, I took it on a short 5 mile loop by myself to make sure I wasn't picking up on someone elses rattles.
1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)
MSRA (www.msra-cycle.org)

I may not be able to tell you who you SHOULD buy from, but I can definitely tell you who you SHOULD NOT buy from.