View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I mount them with square edge towards the pressure plate (out). Chamfered edge in. Probably the most important, as others have stated, is having all of the steel plates facing the same direction.
My friend said we did it that way, I admit I can't remember.

Today we bled the system again the normal way. There was no air visible in the bleeder hose. We then reverse bled the system using a big syringe and a very tight fitting rubber hose.
I was surprised how much force was necessary to get the fluid pumped up to the reservoir. And yes I had the bleeder nipple opened far enough.

The feel on the lever did not change. The test ride showed that nothing has changed. With the engine cold it drags quite a bit but that is something that does not bother me too much. I then warmed the engine up going up and down the road. I also feathered the clutch a few times to get some heat in it.

With the engine warm I can put it in first or second gear, no drag. I also could start it in gear. Then I shut the engine off and gave it about 1 minute before I re-started it. Bingo! I put it in gear and the drag is so bad that it immediately dies. Starting it in gear is not possible, it drags so bad that it leaps forward with every revolution of the starter motor.

I can reproduce that as often as I want. As soon as I give the engine a rest and re-start it, the problem is there. If I leave it running all is good.

In desperation I took off the slave cylinder but didn't find anything unusual. But I now know where the o-ring the spare parts fiche shows sits and what it does. It's just there to avoid engine oil making its way through the cylinder. The oil I found on the piston is gear oil that comes from the push rod and a bearing.

Two things I noticed seem to be unusual. When I pull the clutch with engine off, I can hear a sucking noise from the clutch side. Hard to describe its a knocking noise as well. I remember that my KTM made a similar noise.

I changed my handle bars later on so took of the clutch master cylinder and let it hang down. When I mounted it to the new bar the clutch pull was considerably firmer than before. But before I could test ride it, it went back to how it was before. Furiously I bled the system again both ways (normal and reverse) but nothing changed.

I have a new slave cylinder on order but I fear it wont change anything

edit: gear oil is 10/50 Amsoil dirtbike oil. Oil level is slightly over the maximum but a small air bubble is visible on top of the sight glass...

Last edited by Doc Brown; 08-09-2019 at 05:20 AM. Reason: added information