View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Norm is a good guy who has had a ton of high level experience.
I talked to him about the forks when I got my spring off him - he wasn't that keen on Zokes and at the time suggested I try some shim shuffling myself. Maybe he was just real busy at that time.
A slight advantage of doing it yourself is that it costs zero and you learn something. It certainly makes you think alot harder about what the bike is doing, it forces you to try and sort out if you have a rear or front problem (which is not as simple as you would think), wether you have a compression or rebound problem etc. ( I have been riding for over thirty years but this bike has taught me more about suspension and handling and what causes what more than any other I have had simply because I have been fiddling with it ever since I bought it!) I am happy with the gains I have made from stock. However, the down side is you or I could probably never achieve the final result that Norm would give you....
As far as rear spring rate is concerned, if by adjusting preload, you can achieve a race sag of around 105mm with a corresponding free sag of 25-30mm, then the spring rate is OK for you.