View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 08:25 PM

Hmmm it is interesting - I too thought that a drown wasn't a big deal - Pumped the water out, started it up and continued on.

Drained the gearbox oil and refilled it, did that till it was clean, checked down the intake boot for any debris and it was clean.

I suspect maybe something happened early on in its 5 hours of use before mine, as Doc has said this doesn't happen over night.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone had tampered with my petrol, it was left there for a while.

Funnily enough as well - the ring end gaps on the piston rings are still within spec, one being actually a little tighter than it should be, so that tells me there wasn't a whole lot of debris going into the combustion chamber, so I feel like I can rule out dirt as a cause. The piston however was a bit undersized, another member mentioned that perhaps an undersized piston could cause some combustion to get past the rings and have some detonation on the underside of the piston (like mini combustion events happening below near the bearings) perhaps thats why they were quite dry in there?
I would have thought the rings would stop it but perhaps it can happen?

As the underside of my piston had quite a bit of burnt oil - then again all this could have just been caused by lack of oil in my gas, though if that was the case, wouldn't the top end seize up ? Surely I would have had some pretty severe scoring on the cylinder if that was the case.

Sometimes I would hear a little bit of "pipe bang" when the bike was cold and warming up, I probably should have paid a bit more attention to it.