View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasDreamer View Post
I think I read here, and I want to try it for s&g, to run a Desert AT knob which has super stiff sidewalls. I guess the thinking is that then the sidewall wont pinch even with no air.
But Pirelli is more of a trials tire made for an enduro than a trials tire for trials bike. It has some decent thick sidewalls, not like a Michelin which I split the sidewall on the first ride. At speed, "pop", wiggle wiggle, 3" sidewall slit.
When have some really sharp edges here and no issues with the Pirelli MT 43, not true of Michelin

I did get a flat on a Pirelli trials [barrel cactus will kill tubes and bounce you off your bike like no rock can] before I had the Tubliss. I was able to haul @ss back on a flat, yes it did swing back and forth but it was predictable.
But a Michelin at low psi, not flat, isn't nice at all. Too low and it wobbles and on a single track you have only a few inches to be in so I didn't like the Michelin at all. I had to jack the psi up to maintain accuracy on singles at speed which was too much psi to get the real grip, I mean it was ok but not good imho. Again the Pirelli is a heavy duty sidewall, at least the rear is.
ok, sounds like the pirelli is similar to the mitas trials tire, also has a more serious sidewall