View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Off idle bog in gear not in neutral

So I've been battling this condition for a while and can't seem to dial it in. It seemed to have started when I changed/cleaned a few things. New reeds (old ones were still in decent shape) , new pipe flange O ring, re-packed muffler and took a torch to the really gummed up perforated inner tail pipe, raised the carb float to level, and lastly installed a Clake Prolever.

I think that it started to run a bit lean, as it was boiling rather easy so I raised the needle a clip and also had a rad cap that tested bad so I replaced it with another 1.8bar.

I'm at the point now where I'm trying to fine tune the air screw but can't seem to find the sweet spot (it ran great for a few years till I made the above alterations). I can get it to where when it's idling in neutral the throttle response is nice and crisp and with it still running if I drop it into gear it's still crisp. But if I leave it in gear and turn the bike off and start it again, the idle rate drops down and the off idle bog seems flat and boggy, which i think indicates a lean condition, but seems to run more poorly if I try to richen it with the air screw.

Could there maybe be more drag on the clutch with the Clake installed causing issues? When I can get the response crisp it seems that I have to have the idle set faster than it used to be. Is there a relation between idle speed and throttle response?

2011 EC 300E
PWK 38
168 main
38 PJ
N3CH needle middle clip
#7 slide