View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
Try back bleeding. from bottom to top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
It's a common fix on Kawasaki's running Nissin brakes. If it doesn't fix it then something else is wrong IME.
I concur.

I've bled it forwards and backwards, literally put quarts of fluid through it both ways. It seems better right after I do that, in the garage, but it could easily be a placebo. When I actually ride it, within a few minutes, I notice that it's right back like it was before (though, interestingly, it doesn't seem to get any worse over time). I'm confident that there's not any air in it, unless that bleed nipple is letting some back in. I still intend to swap that out sometime soon, since it'll be cheap, but the fact that it doesn't continue getting more mushy over time leads me to believe that's not the issue.

Let me ask this: when you squeeze on the lever really hard, like harder than you typically would to actually brake, does your caliper move / flex very much? It's not a ton, but mine definitely flexes a good bit. I try the same thing on the Nissin system on my XR400, and it flexes just a bit, but nowhere near as much as the Gasser. You have to look really hard on the Honda to see it move / flex, but it's easily noticeable on the GasGas.

I suppose if something is moving / flexing that isn't suppose to be, then this could be allowing the caliper piston to continue moving outward a little bit, and thus cause a less firm lever, right? Is this normal? What might cause this?