View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 10:22 PM

I'm not an engine expert, but in my experience: when you change something that increases power (such as porting, big bore, shaved or high compression head) your basically making a stronger air pump out of the engine, and it can draw a stronger signal on the carburetor making the jetting too rich. I have found that i needed to lean out the jetting to compensate for this effect.... a wild guess at 2 steps leaner on the main and pilot

But... that pesky stock needle would never tune very well for me or many others, I always had some small lean or rich spot that was bothering me somewhere lol. Your likely to have to jet from scratch with your new needles anyways. I have had a great experience with the suzuki NExx needles, a huge improvement over stock.
This is all assuming you don't have a leak, or mechanical problem of course.

Others may be able to help you with setup for your specific needles, but for what its worth here's my setup for 3000 to 7000 feet at 10 to 30 Celsius:

S3 Stars head with highest compression insert/ and thin base gasket to correct squish gap
NEDW #2 clip for warmer temp / #3 for spring and fall
35 pilot
air screw 1 out + or - for large temp swings
165 main

I get moderate spooge with a Qstealth muffler, smokes a little but I like a slightly rich mid-range for torque. Idles forever and barely loads up.