View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyFlush View Post
I had an issue exactly like this on my 2003 FSE450.
I fully recommend pulling the relays out from near the airbox and giving the contacts a GOOD clean with a wire brush etc. You can pull the receiving wires for the relays out of the sockets one at a time as that way you are not going to get anything mixed up.

Next I would take the relays and crack them open (just be careful) by slowly working around the case seam with a small screw driver or something. Inside you might see some carbon buildup on the contacts so grab some sand paper or a jewellers file and clean that up. Pop it all back together and fingers crossed you have it sorted.

If you still have issues I recommend checking your kill switch and starter switch. My kill switch was a little rough and a good clean fixed it right up
Thanks for the insight! I'll be sure to check those relays next time I'm working on the bike. Would be wonderful if the problem was as simple as a relay... Seems unlike a relay failure, but if that's what fixed yours with the same symptoms, hey it's worth a shot.

The kill switch seems to work fine, as when the bike is off and I press the kill, upon release of the switch I can hear the fuel pump re-prime.

Could you describe how yours died, if it was during a ride like I experienced, and would it restart but then die again the next day like mine does? And once you cleaned the relay, did it immediately run again just like before?