View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 PM

General consensus (after a quick google) seems that a 165 main jet will get you by from 8000 to 13000, which can happen easily. I think the top of American Flag Mountain is 13.8k, if I remember right.

If you want to dial it in perfect then you'll need a pile of needles, pilots and mains and spend your entire trip messing with it.

When I was at Taylor Park I ran a 168, N3EJ (lean even up there on my 2000) and a 38 pilot. I'll say the pilot and main were acceptable but that fat needle interfered with definitive results. When I go back, I'm going to try a N3EW which I have on hand or order an NEDW because I am in love with the Suzuki needles. With this set up my bike didn't smoke a bit.. not even a little, so probably not a good thing.

Having said that, from what I gather the newer bikes with the AS2 carburetor might benefit from a leaner needle so the J diameter could be right on the money. I have to go at least one step richer on needle diameters due to my older carb design.

If you're looking for quick and dirty, I'd drop the needle a slot or two (depending on your current elevation?????) and go to a 165 on the main and call it good. Your pilot will be fat but that never seizes motors.