View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shang View Post
Well, I've been loving my new bike!

So the other day I go on a 50 mile or so loop with some friends, I'm on the return road to the car, I'm just cruising up the road, minding my own business when the bike just dies. Initially I thought it was out of gas but it wouldn't restart. Well, long story short, the cooling system was completely dry. I'm not sure how it happenned but on tear down I can see where the inner o-ring failed for some reason and I must have burned all my coolant.

Anyway, just needs a top end. Cylinder looks good and parts are in the mail. So I figured while it's apart I'll cut the head. I have a friend who has been building turbo snowmobiles for 20+ years, so he ordered me parts through one of his accounts and he is cutting the squish on the head.

Notice the plug turned gold from the heat.

Wrist pin.

While I am in there I did a billet impeller from checkpoint. (Great service and fast shipping BTW)

...and I ditched the t-stat and used one of these little inline coolers as a fitting. I'm not sure they do anything but it's cooler looking than a brass fitting.

I also updated the lighting a little. I rode a little a few weeks ago in the dark and was surprised how terrible the lighting is. So I picked up a cheap ebay led bike light.

I cut the back off, gutted the driver out of it since it has multiple settings as well as strobe and I didn't want that. I bought a driver from ledsupply.com and wired that in. The light press fit into the stock openning perfectly. I just through a washer under the stock screw to help hold it in place then rtv'ed the back.

It's not as bright as I would like, and the housing barely gets warm so I will probably pick up a stronger driver for it but it is waaay brighter than the stock headlight.

Oh, and on the subject of the rain/shine switch, I can feel a difference, but I wind up riding it on shine all the time, so I removed the switch and just plugged the ends from the cdi together.

Well, I finished getting the bike back together and man the head mod made a huge difference! It's way more crisp!