View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 08:08 AM

Time to wrap this ordeal up...

With a new piston and stator installed, I managed to ride the a few times until it died. No spark.

Had it towed to a nearby dirtbike workshop. They found that I had routed the wiring loom the wrong way and the flywheel had frayed the wiring and caused also melting on the windings.

So I purchased a new stator and had them install it. While riding back home from the workshop, a few km's at steady speed (6th gear, 6000 rpm, 85 km/h), the engine died. While waiting for the tow truck I noticed that there was no compression - so nothing to do with the previous repair at the workshop. At home I opened the engine and found that the plug and piston had melted. My jetting: 38/175/N3CJ. I'd been using the past year Denso W22 plug which is one notch hotter than recommended.

Took the cylinder to the workshop. It could have been repaired by just cleaning the aluminum with acid, but they found a crack between the channels. So I chose to purchase a refurbished cylinder from gasgas-outlet.de (180EUR+50EUR for welding job+ sending the old cylinder).

If the bike were a KTM I would have put it into pieces and sold the parts. Unfortunately GG is a rare make back here, and hence there is no market for GG parts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ec300 piston top.jpg (120.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ec300 piston.jpg (118.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ec300 plug.jpg (116.6 KB, 14 views)