View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

As per another thread. I'd lost a bit of coolant on my break in ride.

Investigation showed that the sealing surface on the radiator had a castling flaw/corrosion in it. Managed to polish it up and drop my old rad cap on.

Seemed to hold pressure mostly, but at times was venting some fluid out the overflow. Checking cold this afternoon it's still over the fins so maybe not too bad now! Both caps are rated 1.8 bar but the 2018 one feels much easier to press the spring in.

Rode some more technical terrain in even wetter conditions today. Got a bit more beat up.. but I think it's mostly my lack of ride fitness.

I think I'm going to go a touch richer on the needle too. She lost balls a bit on extended climbs and really needed a lot of clutch work to keep going.. even then it didn't feel like the clutch was bringing it into the meat of the power..

Later that day I managed to take in a lung full of flowing water.. all the way into the crank cases!! Didn't take too long to clear (crank case drain pulled, spark plug pulled, tipped up on the back wheel and cycled for a bit, with some fuel overflowing out the carb.. and she was off and running.. albeit very shit!! Rode for a few kms thinking it must have been pulling water through the filter still (which I didn't wring out).. only to realise I had the choke on!! Bahahaha..

Anyway, the softer bottom end I spoke of in my last post showed up in the bush today.. I think I'll try and extract some more grunt out of it yet! Other than that very Gas Gas typical.. braaap