View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaulnier View Post
The starter motor brushes are most likely fried due to too much friction in the Bendix end cap bore. The too tight tolerances on the end cap to Bendix shaft creates too much friction which bogs down the starter so too much current flows through the starter. This is called the locked rotor current and is orders of magnitude greater than normal motor running current so is unsustainable and causes damage to current carrying components like the brushes.

I suggest polishing the bore on the new end cap as described previously and/or discovering the cause of the friction that is binding up the Bendix and starter.

The other fixes that were done are all good and correct and necessary but if there is too much friction in the Bendix cover and/or assembly then you will still have problems.

I think the basic components and design are sound but require proper tolerances, lubrication and assembly.

Mine required polishing the Bendix end cap bore and now starts from cold. It would only start before when hot after the Bendix end cap had warmed up and the bore expanded, reducing friction enough to decrease the load on the starter, leaving enough battery capacity to activate the ignition and spark the coil.
I've taken a little time to look further into this starter problem and it appears to me that the starter gear is engaging too deep into the flywheel gear. The noise and the wear on the flywheel remind me of the older Chevrolet starters when they were not shimmed properly. Of course this design cannot be adjusted with shims so he is waiting to hear back from his dealer who is being very helpful and says that most of his customers have had no problems but one other guy besides my friend is having similar problems.

I did check to drive and gear and it spun freely with no binding or play.