View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 AM

The carb is 38 mm.

I installed #38 pilot. Despite having read several how-to's on how to adjust the air screw, I had to eventually adjust it by riding. I could not get any coherent response at idle or while gently revving the engine.

Throttle response off-idle was still very sluggish. I am an old fart who is a newbie in dirt riding - so engine performance is always exceeding my abilities. But the sound of the engine was so heart breaking that something had to be done. So I dropped the needle down as far as it goes - and presto - throttle response improved significantly. Arm fatigue is now an issue again.I do appreciate that my jetting is most likely far from ideal, but I'm an old fart w/ limited riding skills. The only clear issue I can pinpoint is that while riding on a highway in 6th gear @8000 rpm, the engine kinda hunts - something which it did not do w/ #40 pilot jet -> a larger main jet might do the trick.

A lot has been learned by Yours Truly.

Four-strokers with CV carbs seem to be a whole different ball game, and experience w/ them gives very little help. The effect of pilot jet size goes much further on my GG, and needle setting has a much greater impact than what I'm used to w/ CV carbs on 4-strokers.