View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
I stripped all of the e-start gear off the bike yesterday as I was reassembling the head.

The total weight of the electric starter motor and its cover, the powervalve cover with standoffs, bendix, ignition cover, ring gear, battery and box, and the wires that run to the starter motor all weigh 7 lbs, 11 oz.

I put a Checkpoint Racing aluminum powervalve cover on as well as a standard ignition cover. Both of these weigh substantially less than the e-start versions.

It sounds like I can remove the solenoid and a bit more wiring.

Net weight savings is probably right at 7 lbs.

I wonder if the ring gear has any sort of flywheel affect, and if I will feel it when riding now that I've removed it?
CombatYoga , my starter also destroyed itself and I'm thinking about stripping it all off as you have done.

Mine is a 2014 XC300r as well but I'm wondering how you managed to remove the battery? I've been told the 2014's CDI requires DC battery power to function. Did your bike still start with kickstart once you removed battery? Or did you have to make some further mods/changes to make it work?

Also did you notice any difference from removing the starter gear ring from the Flywheel?