View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Problem here is your talking about two different scales of measurement, 80W gear oil is not rated on the SAE motor oil scale. You need to look at the equivalent viscosity in centistokes @ 40 and 100 deg C. I've run 80W Spectro and the clutch drags a lot.

I think this is very tecnique dependent. I can and have made mine squawk occasionally slipping in in very tight trees, but any bike will do that. A Yam 250F will do it and burn the clutch to a crisp in the process. I just had mine out and its like new @ 133 hrs.

Noise from primary gear? Sounds funny to me. Perhaps what they mean is the vibrations from the plates slipping/grabbing are tranfered through the system and you hear the harmonics from the basket, gears, case, side cover, etc. Things usually sound a lot worse than they are for this reason. Ever hear a Cannondale 440? A perfectly good one sounds like its in self destruct mode due to the gear driven valve train and large side cover.

What oils are you guys with the most complaints using?
Glenn,
1.What the heck is a centistoke?
2.That's the good news of this whole problem. It's a irritating noise but the clutch seems to operate perfectly.
3. That's what the man (one of them) from Spain said. Doesn't make sense to me but I have a good friend who is a great mechanic and I think we can narrow it down with a little work and find out exactly what it is.
4. i think the oil use is all over the map.
Clay