View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Am I the only one? Not even. Many of us Aussies have jumped from 10-11 models up to 12+. I haven't heard anyone say it was a bad decision, or that they have any regrets. Perhaps.. but I'm not aware.

They are different chassis' though and as such they are different bikes. They ride differently. They feel different. They handle differently. They are even different to work on. Some parts cross over, others not.

I don't have time to go into all the details, but will touch on a couple that I have noticed.

The weight in the rear of the 13 is noticeable. It feels heavier to push/lift.
The steering stops limit the ability to turn the bike. I only really notice it in the shed when pushing it around - same can be said for the weight too.
The fittings and fixtures are more standardised. Less odd ball sized bolts... but still enough to think it's not up to par with the alternative big brands.
Suspension: rear has had changes to linkage ratios, length, and lower clevis. Non interchangeable (unless comparing to an 11' special model or possibly race model). Up front, 48mm forks are closed cart Marzocchi; perform very well, with some scope for improvement too. Some people have had coating issues. We had some 13 models with 45mm zokes - I wouldn't want them.
E-start ... no experience with either models. Both my bikes have been kick only.

The real proof is in the pudding though. If given the choice to ride one or the other, I would take the 13. I do. Besides the couple negatives, I just like the way it handles. It's still nimble, it still turns, yet its stable too. It doesn't particularly do anything wrong. It feels more race orientated to me. The peg clearance is improved which limits dragging in ruts. It gets you up and over the bars more. It feels refined and less agricultural.. Less like a trail bike.