View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM

This is like trying to explain a rainbow to a blind person. No, like trying to explain a rainbow to a blind person who doesn't speak your native language. No, like trying to explain a rainbow to a blind person, who doesn't speak your native language, and saying: "Eat Skittles, taste the rainbow"! But no, it's like trying to explain a rainbow to a blind person, who doesn't speak your native language, who has no taste buds.

Thank God I have lived a long time, seen a rainbow, ain't blind, have tasted Skittles, have taste buds, and ain't trying to explain a rainbow to myself. I think. It's kinda like that. Maybe.

First, we are all diffrerent. Unique. Second, we aren't all guys. Third, we aren't all of the same experience level, age, basically we all experience all things somewhat differently. When I started racing, I rode a stock 89 KDX 200. I was 230 lbs, had been powerlifting for a few years,working construction, was 22 yrs old, had a really hot girlfriend, drove a black Trans Am without the goofy gold eagle, but big-wide-super-duper-cool RACING STRIPES, LIKE PROPER 1960s MUSCLE CARS HAD! And I had a Mullet. But I digress... I read in a magazine back then that the best handling and fastest dirt bike was a 1990 KX 500. So I traded in my stock KDX for a 500 2 stroke, and loved it! I was super-duper-fast on that 500, when I was on top of it,not it on top of me. Which was about 50/50, but man, could I get back up quick and restart a bike after a crash! I actually thought out if it was possible to put all black plastic on a Kawi, and get gold graphics for it. I think youth and Mullets drain your brain.

Today? I can't even kickstart a KX 500! If I tried to go fast on it, I would do so, but for probably 10 minutes before I was worn completely out. Or before I stalled it, or crashed it, and had to crawl back and try to kickstart it again. I think I probably would be able to kickstart that 500 once. In the parking area, with people looking on. For sure if there was even one hot chick for motivation. Once out of sight of people, I'd probably just push it back rather than try to kick it. My hot girlfriend from back then would probably wear me out too. But I bet she don't look any better than I do today, so maybe not?

Back to rainbows and skittles: One of the first posters on this subject was a chick from somewhere other than the US. I recognized the sexy wording that didn't sound like she was from around these here parts. I bet she is hot too. And probably as tough as I was back then a hundred years ago.

Here's why blind people don't need to explain to sighted people what it's like to eat skittles and taste a rainbow at the same time: It don't really work. And riding a bike at an event, or in a dealer parking lot, or hearing details from others, or reading about a bike, whatever, kinda don't work, especially when you don't have a few years of hardcore riding/racing experience. You sort of don't have enough base of knowledge to "get it". Whatever "it" is.

I have been asking similar questions about some offbeat mods for an older 250 XC. And even with my sage experience, it's kinda tough to translate rainbows to bikes. But I can get some idea at least. But not really a good idea. Truthfully, you should ask, and learn, and think, but you really gotta try it out for yourself. What works for you might suck for someone else. Or be perfect!

Now go out and taste the rainbow!

Last edited by jgas; 10-26-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Mullets.