View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 12:36 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iakovos1 View Post
Farmer J. I believe my problem may be the pinion gear and starter gear relationship as you suggested. When I removed my old starter gear and bearing it came out as 1 pressed together unit. When I marry my new gear and bearing it is a very loose fit. My parts supplier said just put some grease to hold them together while you are pressing in new bearing and that it would be fine. After pressing in new bearing with gear, I am able to physically push the gear up and down slightly with my finger. I would think that having up and down play with the gear would be a BAD thing. Am I overthinking this?

My starter worked previously. 2019 xc300. Bought bike with 20 hours. Shortly thereafter it starter have the binding symptoms and being dumb I kept stabbing the button and blew the starter motor. Replaced with OEM unit and had 20 hours of trouble free riding. It started binding again so I bought a new motor, took everything apart to clean and grease, reinstalled with new motor and had 0 improvement. So I bought new gears, bearings, and AS3 cover. Which bring me to today.
You might be overthinking this - but I do not know. I would think that if there is a small amount of play, the gears can find a "happy spot" - better than too tight. Of course, too loose would cause binding as well!

Where did your new starter motor come from? I am convinced that they are not all equal. The best one is from Rieju. They have a new manufacturer, I believe - Mitsuba (thanks Doc) - and perform better than the last round of GasGas starters and better than the cheap alternatives. They cost $220 though!

Jeff

Last edited by farmerj; 10-31-2020 at 12:46 AM.