View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
You guys are "nailing it" over on the Thumpertalk GG starter thread! Awesome work!

A couple of comments in addition to what I have written above:
(1) A 24V starting system is not an ideal fix, it is an option that overpowers the binding. Better to fix the underlying binding issues if you can. But if you can't, it's better to have a bike that starts than one that doesn't and may be worth a try

(2) My dealer installed a new Rieju starter in my bike recently and I could not believe it - the bike starts instantly! (At least, it did for a day and a half of riding until my battery went dead from a lighting system draw).

This is after three "less expensive" starters. I have had them apart, and the OEM starters have a needle bearing on the drive end end of the armature shaft. The cheaper ones use a bronze bushing. So there are some quality differences. My take - if you can get the Starter drive system sorted so that there is no binding, the less expensive starters may work (good news on TT) and would be the way to go! If things aren't perfect, in my experience (& that of my dealer) the OEM starter is stronger.

However, it is also possible that some other factor is at work. The only thing that was changed on my bike was the starter. And I have had less expensive starters that would grind into a piece of wood and appeared to have power, but wouldn't turn over my bike. It is possible that upon starter assembly the force of insertion changes something in the position of drive gear #20 for better or worse. It could be that this most recent "success" was due to that...but I think it was the starter itself. I intend to fit a new Rieju bendix cover to increase the longevity of the system.

fwiw,

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. This is all very good information. I tend to agree with you. 24v should not be necessary. I believe I have everything in good working order mechanically. I have replaced bearings, gears, pinion, AS3 cover and now the bendix. I am also thinking along the line that the aftermarket starter has something to do with it. I also am now suspecting my battery. I?m going to test a couple more things that don?t require me to spend money and if I can?t figure it out I?m going to take it to my dealer. They are very good and know GG bikes, just not very close.