View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I am in the market for a 250 4t for my daughter (she's 12 now, but i'll get her the 250 for next year. She's a big, strong kid). Right now my options are the KTM and the Yamaha. This bike would fit her to a "T."

I'd be all over it.

The problem we have here, though, is for a trail rider, why not buy a Yamaha? I know we all love GG here, but if I am marketing to the general public, a Yamaha motor in a GG is really a Yamaha. (Devil's advocate).

I read once that a motorcycle company isn't a motorcycle company until they manufacture their own engines.

The GG will have to be substantially lighter and much better suspended than the Yamaha. How much is that going to drive the price up?

From a marketing standpoint, sourcing another motor makes more sense. GG started with TM. TM has a 4T, but i think it is a big bore. Maybe a joint development between TM and GG could produce a competitive motor both could use.

The other option would be to use the Husky 4T motor. This would be a lesser option than a TM/GG motor.

The point about a Yamaha as a five speed is another good point. If GG does this, an exclusive six speed might be of value. Is there enough room now for a six speed? I am not sure. Something to work out.

I just fear that the Yamaha motor brands this bike as a Yamaha.

GG should consider a joint venture with TM.

How is the new flat head trials motor? a first year motor need not be a disaster.

Thanks.

blitz