View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Default MY FSE 450 to SM conversion

I had previously mentioned that I was working on setting up my FSE with SM wheels. The conversion for now is finished. and I have attached some photos showing the finished product.

The front wheel is a late model KTM 17" wheel. The current rotor is from a KTM enduro. I had installed a Braking STX54D 320mm wave rotor. It worked just slightly better than the enduro rotor and with a weight of over 3 lbs and the enduros rotors weight of less than 1 lb, I opted to put the enduro rotor back on.

The rear wheel is from my DRZ sm and it is fitted with a 150-60-17 Conti-force tire. It just barely fits, but it does fit. The rear sprocket is 36t and it really extends the streetability. With this setup the bike cruises at 75-80mph without any overrevving.

It may seem like I'm conflicted by having a silver front and black rear wheel, but I'm not conflicted at all. The DRZ wheel only comes in black and I did already have the wheel, but every time I look at both wheels, I'm just reminded how much better the bike looks with silver wheels. I'll just never understand the acceptance of black wire wheels.

Finally, I want to make a comment about the bikes ability to transform to a SM. Evidently the rake on the older bikes may make it a little slow for close dirt work but for 50-95 mph canyon use it is rock solid. Compared to my DRZ sm, it is much easier to ride fast.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GG1.JPG (113.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg GG2.JPG (118.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg GG4.JPG (117.3 KB, 56 views)