View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_gasgas View Post
...one very viable option is to wait for the release of the Jotagas 300 enduro bike...
Don't know much about Jotagas (though I certainly welcome any new competition into the mix), but the best current option is the other "red" bike: Beta.

I rode most of the new models at a demo day a few months back, and they have some very solid bikes. My 2011 EC250 has a lot of tweaks to make it just how I like it (suspension tuning front and rear, head and carb mods, some brakes mods, etc.), and the race-edition Betas are easily as good or better right out of the box. They have a MUCH better starter / electrical system, lots of aftermarket support, and based on the brand's growth the last 5 or so years, they clearly have good business management. Sherco is swinging for the fences with all these pro riders they're signing, but I think it's going to be Beta that seriously challenges KTM in the next 5-10 years.

Most importantly, they "feel" and "ride" very similar to GasGas, at least like the older smaller framed ones like my 2011. The power is very smooth, the smaller ergonomics are similar, the handling / stability is similar, etc. When I ride a newer KTM, Husky, Sherco, heck even most Japanese bikes, they just "feel" very different. Taller, twitchier, never planted, etc. It would probably take me a dozen rides to really get a good feel for those bikes, but it was literally instantaneous for me on a Beta.

I'll certainly support GasGas for as long as I can (and as long as they give me good reason to), but I have a pretty strong feeling that my next bike (in a couple years) will be a Beta.

(P.S. talking about enduro bikes here, not trials)