View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 AM

Default Sachs shock leak

Has anyone had a problem with their shock leaking slightly after a service? The bike is an 07 EC300. I took it in to a shop (one recomended by a couple of people at work) last month for a routine service while it was off the bike as i wasnt sure if or when it had last been done, they fitted new seal, bush and oil.

During the first ride after re-fitting it, i noticed an oily ring around the shaft and slight residue on the shaft above the ring. Cleaned it, did another loop and it came back. Same thing was happening again a week later on the next ride out.

Obviously not happy, i took it back to the shop and they were quite happy to strip and re-check everything. They found nothing obvious, but still put another new seal in. I went out again on it this weekend and it seems the same thing is happening.

When it first happened i wondered whether it was residue left over from the service, but they said they tend to clean well to stop this happening as it can freak people out when they see it. So i doubt its that. They order in proper Sachs seals, so they arnt using some other random seal that fits. They also checked the shaft for straightness etc and said its fine. It wasnt leaking before the inital service.

I dont think they generally work on Sachs stuff, but a shock is a shock and they come with a good reputation and seem to know what theyre doing. But maybe thats been my mistake!

Anyway, do you guys have any ideas on what might be going on? Could it just be residue left over which will disappear with riding, is that normal? Are there any assembly tricks/subtleties with this particular shock? Maybe a different seal is generally recommended?

Thanks in advance,
Ad