View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
I think that you must be a much better rider than am I.

I had 440 hours on my piston (bottom end hours unknown - but tight with just a bit of polish on the small end of the rod), but i rarely ride it on the pipe, and most of that time was riding behind my daughters (both of whom are now faster than I am). My piston has much less ring-blow by, the bottom of the piston was shiny clean, and I had no scoring or "abrasions."

My guess is that you might have had a less than ideally sealed air filter, bad air filter (i had an air filter split on the outer layer once - ouch), or really lean oil mixtures. It's hard to say without more information. i could send pictures of the piston if you're interested.

Dirt might explain a bottom end failure, too. Hard to say for sure w/o the tear down.
Definitely not a better rider! I normally stick to the low end power of the bike and am hardly on the pipe giving it a hard time.

I didn't really see any dirt/debris in the case or on the piston, the intact tract was pretty clean too - so not sure if its related to dirt.

I noticed I had the pilot jet one sizer smaller than stock, the piston measured a bit undersize otherwise I can't really see anything else out of the ordinary, hopefully more knowledgeable people will chime in