Thread: Oil pump??
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Oil pump??

So a couple of months ago I started a thread about a shifting problem and it turned out the scorpion spring was the fix. Well, I've been busy lately and wanted to post this a long time ago. Since I had my clutch basket out, I had gone for one ride and everything seemed normal, then a week later I told myself I wasn't riding until I changed my oil, when draining the old oil hardly anything came out of the crankcase and the normal amount came out of the frame drain. I thought it was odd and was pretty sure the level was correct last time I rode. When I went to add new oil to the frame the oil over flowed out of the dipstick hole which it has never done before. It wouldn't go down so I drained it from the frame drain to the normal level thinking I had done something wrong. I started the bike to get it circulated and checked it again, right in the range. A few hours later I'm riding, a couple of miles into the ride the engine seemed to lock up, I skidded to the side of the trail and noticed my radiator recovery tank was nearly full and some rad fluid spitting out of the overflow tube. I gave it a slow kick just to see if the engine would turn and it did, so I hit the starter and it fired right up, so I took off. A few miles later, it seemed to lock up again but it fired right up when I came to a stop. At this point I figured I should get back to the truck but as I started back the engine started making noises like it was low on oil, you know, like piston squeaky noises and some ticking. About half way back it stalled and I couldn't get it started for about 20 minutes, then it finally started and I made it back to the truck, noises and all...
My question now is, when I installed my scorpion spring and installed my clutch basket, is there something behind the clutch basket that could have been affected? Is the oil pump back there? If the oil pump is faulty, would it cause the oil to not go from the frame to the crankcase? Something didn't seem quite right when I was tightening the basket nut, but I couldn't find anything wrong, so I kept going.
My other question is, could a relay be going bad causing the random stalling? I've never had to change one.
Your replies are greatly appreciated.