View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 AM

Here are some photos of the adjustment being done to my bike. I can't provide a detailed description of the procedure since I don't know the names for most of the parts, but I wanted to get some photos posted so people could see the powervalve mechanism. You'll need to remove the pipe, kickstarter, drain the coolant from the water pump drain plug, remove the radiator hose (use pliers to squeeze the spring clamp) and lay the bike on its side. Remove the side case by loosening the appropriate bolts. You will need to remove some of the clutch cover and water pump bolts because they hold the side case on! These bolts will be noticeably longer than the others and they must be removed. Tap the case lightly with a rubber mallet to loosen the gasket. Lift the case off, it may take extra nudging near the water pump area because of the drive mechanism. Now look at the photos. The bolt marked "adjust here" is the screw that you need to loosen. The next part is tricky, you need to follow Glenn's advice and figure out which way to rotate the adjuster (and how much) to get rid if the slop. You'll need to use both hands to hold everything in place while you re-tighten the Allen bolt as everything can flop around when this bolt is loose. I did not change the shims on my bike. Now you can reassemble the bike (new side case gasket goes on now if needed) and replace the coolant.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PV_1.jpg (104.3 KB, 1352 views)
File Type: jpg PV_2.jpg (75.3 KB, 1328 views)
File Type: jpg PV_3.jpg (78.1 KB, 1357 views)
File Type: jpg PV_4.jpg (61.8 KB, 1321 views)
File Type: jpg PV_5.jpg (66.7 KB, 1600 views)