Thread: heat cycling
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I don't think anyone here is arguing the point that heat can change the structure of metals. More to the point, what question are you asking?
It was a simple question. Do you heat cycle a new engine and if, how?
seriously,what's hard to understand about it?

Quote:
A forged piston has seen some heat already, both during forging, during, machining, finishing, etc. And will surely see more in use.
Every piston has seen some heat whether forged or casted.

Quote:
Is there a specific break in time which leads to optimal structure? At which point does it go beyond optimal and fatigue?
This is what I am trying to find out. Had the chance to talk to a GG factory team mechanic a few years back and the method he described was rather unusual. As they let the engine cool for 24 hours which I have never heard before. So I asked a guy I know from an oil company, he works in R&D and is specialized in tribology and he said that may make sense.

Quote:
How does this matter to us?
I don't know. I never did any heat cycling. I get a brand new bike and ride it. Done. Which leads back to the question, is anyone doing heat cycles before the bike is just ridden normally? And if the answer is yes, how and why?

Quote:

How are airplane engines broken in? Some good reading on the matter if you go looking.
I only can say JTD9's from P&W just run on the test stand before delivery. There is no braking in period once the engine is installed. No clue if that is also valid for newer super fan engines aswell, but I'd assume it.