View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 23-Jan-16 Oregon Coast Slop & Romp

What a difference some warm weather combined with lots of liquid sunshine makes! The last time I tried riding out of Diamond Mill (day after Xmas), there was snow on the ground in staging and it only became deeper as we ventured into the woods. We barely made it 15 miles in December, and achieved that staggering mileage thanks to logging roads...lol.

One of the usual suspects set the hook with an email to a group of the usual nutballs and had several bites right away. I didn't think I'd be able to make it as my boots were off being re-soled, but fortunately my friends don't like to see someone pouting on the sidelines and offered up several pairs of spare boots. No excuses available, I loaded the GG and planned to meet the crew at Coleman's for some b-fast before heading to the Mill. If any of us had checked the forecast prior to heading out, we might have decided to play couch potato instead, but a day in the woods is better than a day on the couch anyway.

After a good b-fast (for 4 of us), we arrived at staging shortly before 10. Geared up in the dry thanks to the free candy van awning and spacious interior, then proceeded into the woods without any idea of where we might go.

A quick route was formulated and we headed up Mike's to connect to the recently cut-in section of Odin's Ridge (I believe). The trek up Odin's Ridge only lasted a few hundred feet in December, happy to report we made it all the way this time. We did encounter one big tree that had fallen across the trail. We briefly talked about getting our hand saws out to deal with it, but decided it was a little too large and that dragging the bikes under would be a better idea.

The rest of the trail was clear of windfall and the only problem were the root steps at the very end; 3 of 'em in a row without much run-up. The guys with the trials tires made pretty easy work of 'em, this yahoo with a balding knob didn't have as much luck. Had to superman the bike over the first two, but cleared the last without issue.

From there, we hit Arrowhead and had fun navigating the root steps on that trail, then decided to hit Stumpy and the crazy downhill section that takes you to Deerfence. Pretty cool on the way down the steep section, saw 3-4 elk enjoying the rain. It seems the logging folks have had their way with the last section of Deerfence - was more like riding a road than trail.

Slabbed it back up toward Tri Loop and enjoyed that little side trip on our way to Diamond Mill Ridge. The trees seemed to have grown closer on the Tri Loop section, gave the guys a good laugh with a very slow-mo crash after clipping a tree with the bars. We hit Diamond Mill ridge and had a blast running that trail. No significant windfall, though our buddy did get caught by a fresh fall across the trail just after the rocky switch-back. Good thing JP had a tow strap as it would have been a real pia to get his heavy 4T back up on the trail...lol.