View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 04:54 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
I like your list!! Great calls.

You think De Soultrait has it in him eh? He's a fast guy.

Can't count out Ricky Brabec either. He may have what it takes to pull a huge upset. Took one stage win last year. I think his weakness is the length of the Rally. He comes out the gate hard but falls away the longer it goes.

How well do you think Jonny Aubert will do? Think he can make Top 20? Top 15? He's such a talented rider but is missing a lot of the rally experience that so many guys at this Dakar have.
I think De Soultrait has it in him looking at his results in the FIMCCC this year and he has the backing. I'd love to see a Brabec upset too and he has been putting in the work but he also spent a lot of 2017 injured from NHHA round 4 i believe. I'm also not convinced he is a great navigator or tactician but we will see.

Aubert certainly has the speed but I haven't been following his training regimen and think you're right regarding the navigation, my guess is inside the top 20 but behind Laia Sanz... I think the smaller bike is going to help her out a lot and we already know she has the chops to crack the top 10.

I'm pretty confident in my top 4 with a Brabec/Meo/VanBeveren upset not surprising me. If Goncalves and Renet were there it would be even harder. I really want to see a Honda upset but can't stand Barreda's attitude.

I'll also be pulling hard for a Bill Conger finishin and top 30 result from Petr Vlcek. I've ridden with Conger quite a bit in UT and battled Vlcek at the 2016 Baja Rally until he finally succumbed to food poisoningon the last day.

Also, obviously, I'd like to see good showing from Samuels and Short.