Thread: Kokusan Blues
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiauka View Post
Take a look at this:
http://www.sportdevices.com/ignition/ignition.htm
that guy has made a DIY CDI and a test machine. I'm thinking about doing something similar with a small USB microcontroller like the ATMEL AT90USB162.
I saw that. While very interesting for research purposes, you would be hard pressed to eaisly implement it in a package that would survive on the bike. It would be neccessary to find an appropriate enclosue and potting material. Also, you have no idea of its suseptability to EMI/RFI.

If I had the time I would do it a different way. I would implement the test CDI as an interface only, and use a computer and my own software to control the prototype ignition and develop the proper map or maps, on a dyno. This would then be implemented in a microcontroller and properly packaged.

As far as ignition issues with GGs, how many of those are verified? I don't think a GG Kokusan is any different than a KTM Kokusan as far as reliability. IMO, if its a real ignition problem, it may be more of an issue with connections, grounding, wire lengths, etc. on the bike that may make it more prone to EMI/RFI issues. Also, maintanence can play a part. I see so many pics of flywheel/stators that look like rusted shipwrecks, and can only imagine what can happen as far as current leakage paths across the internal connections and the effect. FWIW, no GG I have had or worked on has had an ignition problem. I do however, on a new bike, go through the electrical system. The ignition is always clean and dry as well.

I've been doing this stuff for a long time and have seen a lot of strange things with various pieces of instrumentation and equipment.