Thread: VIN Decoder
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJLiberty View Post
Ok I think i see what you mean. I attached an image of the ignition cover. The wires are coming out towards the back of the bike, so this would make it an EC then?
Yes. It has the larger EC ignition. The flywheel is large and takes up the room available in the front (round) part of the area, so your pickup is in the flat area where the wires emerge from the case.
If it had the smaller XC (really the MC, or motocrosser) ignition, the pickup coil would be at the 8:00 position on the ignition, and the wires would come out at the front of the cases above the ignition cover (you'll see the rubber plug there on your bike), and that plug would be where the wires would come out.

Gas Gas started selling an XC model again in the last few years, but I don't think they produced the XC model in the years between 2002 and then.
In 2006, in response to the US dealers' requests, the GG Factory produced the DE (Dealer Edition) models to fill the niche that the absence of the XC & SE models.
My 2006 DE300 had the EC engine mated to the MC250 frame, and the MC250 shock and the 45mm Marzocchi Shiver forks. I love that bike.

Where are you located? Maybe we will get to ride together some day, Or I can connect you with riders in your area who are familiar with Gassers.

Good Riding to you!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/