View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHOSPUD View Post
So kind of new to this 2-stroke thing. Not worried about taking it apart, and back together.

My question is this: When I put the bike up for winter I am sending the head off to RB designs for the squish mod. Should I put a new pistion in it, or just rings, while I have it apart. Is this something that I just need to check the spec. What is the best brand. what is the drill here
What year model/more importantly how many hours on the current top end? Most here feel that 75-100hrs is a good time for new rings and while in there a new piston and little end bearing isn't a bad idea. Keeping all that in spec reduces wear on the cylinder as well. Others will tell you they have run theirs a lot longer (and I'm sure you can as all my top ends done around 85hrs have still been in spec).

If it was my bike I'd be giving it a full fresh top end in the off season to ensure a trouble free run next season. If you just want to get the head done, you really don't need to even bother pulling the cylinder. 2 fresh o-rings for the head and thats it.