View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
The free play on the piston is concerning me a little. It should still bleed up ok but with the PFP backed out it will have a negative preload (ie the spring will be free to rattle around). Ideally (if I had a lathe), I'd machine up a spacer to get the spring back into spec where it is lightly preloaded with the PFP at 0 turns in (7mm freeplay, PFP out). This would give the most useful range of adjustment.

My pfp spring is the same it has 5-7mm free play with pfp at fully out. I reckon that's the cause of the rattle I hear when the suspension is busy.

When my tuner was working on them the other day he mentioned his opinion of the adjustable preload is that it's a bit of a gimmick. Ie when fully wound on with say 10mm of preload you have effectively applied 20kg of force to the spring. However when the fork action does overcome that initial force the pfp spring will then compress at its usual rate of 2kg/mm or whatever it is. So really all winding the pfp in does is make the initial action of the fork firmer/harsher.

He revalved my forks with the pfp wound out and didn't seem fussed by the free play. If anything it should make the initial action plusher. However when it does start compressing the pfp spring could also cause a harsh spike?
Time will tell I have a big ride this weekend on the newly revalved forks.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC