View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Truly IMO the Powercore 2 muffler is not too offensive. Mine is consistently 94DB. I have had several comment that they didn't hear me coming up on them when racing scrambles. Compared to the majority of modern 4 strokes these bikes are already stealth. Much of the sound emitted is actually escaping through the expansion chamber and engine area. I guy I know put a db snorkel on a turbine core 2 and it did not really do much in the way of noise reduction.

All that being said, quieter is better and I am all for it!
I do however think what these bikes come equipped with exceed federal regs and are on the low side of, or right there with the competition when it comes to sound. And to keep the already slightly porky gassers weight down and stay competitive in the weight wars, adding more will not help them sell.
Something quieter should be an option! But what it comes with stock already is more than adequate for the multipurpose use these machines get IMO.

The last 4 stroke 450 Gasser I heard, an 05, was pretty darned loud. The newer stock 4 stroke Gas Gas muffler may be quieter, I'm not sure. If it isn't I'd suggest they look into helping find a solution.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!