View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 PM

I have both the OEM GG silencer and an FMF TC2. I think the GG silencer is a bit quieter than the FMF, probably because there is more core/packing area (no SA). Like Roscoe said, they are adequate for the intended use, BUT, they get to sounding nasty if not maintained. I don't think 2-strokes are the big problem. I live in a valley between two mountains full of trails and old roads. You can hear everything, guns, bikes, dogs barking, saws, you name it. A 2-stroke with a decent silencer in the woods is not a particular high energy sound, and is muffled by the trees fairly well. All the leaf blowers running in yards are far more noticable. Now, enter the kid (one of many) on his new 250F with open MX pipe. You can hear him for miles, count his shifts, even get an idea how his bike is running. That sound is what is pissing people off, it has much more energy.

Skid, your right about the deer. Up here they are used to bikes and I can get very close with a still running bike before they spook.

As far as the road, I like to be heard but not at a ridiculous level, like your typical HD with open pipes that runs like crap from no backpressure. I run a Leo Vince system on my Duc but retain the inserts. I happen to love the Ducati sound and while not excessively loud, its loud enough to render soccer mom's cell phone useless withen a few car lengths. I think the phone display may shatter if I remove the inserts.