View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Update: The switch makes a difference. No doubt about that. I was at the local MX track yesterday. The switch makes a noticeable difference under such circumstances.

Case closed.

With the 200cc and 250cc engines, the cdi switch primarily gives one more usable torque at lower rpms and will let the engine rev out much better and longer on top.

With the 300cc engine, the switch makes much more difference.
Here are my explanations:
a. In the rainy setting, the engine is an abrupt beast down low (jerky like a 450 4-stroke), but is more controllable during open throttle application during race type conditions in the tight woods, because it keeps the bike from coming unglued from the ground as the rpms rise (because it flattens out power up top and keeps things under control). On my 2006 DE300, I would use the rainy setting to race in the tight woods. In normal trail riding conditions, I only used the rainy setting in the tight woods when I was caught off guard by a gnarly hill climb or uphill rock garden where I really needed the extra low end grunt.
b. One the 300, I ended up using the sunny (mx) setting most of the time. With the incredible torque of this engine, the low rpm power is more than adequate for most situations and still soft enough to allow me to ride more smoothly through the tight single track trails. At the same time, the sunny setting will allow me to carry a wheelie much longer than the rainy settiing; which makes mud holes, gullies, and water crossings much cleaner by keeping the front wheel in the air.

When riding mountain singetrack on the 2011 250, I'm usually in the rainy setting; as the low end torque is much less stress on my wrists, arms, and balancing ability.

Anyway, that is my $.02 worth. I hope the input proves helpful for someone.

Good Riding to All Y'all!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/