View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I don't see why not, it works fine like that on the bench. Got an idea for new mount?
If I take my current Scotts Top Clamp with stabilizer attached, and turn it over (think left to right) - it will bolt down onto the stock perches in exactly the same position as it was when mounted "above bars." The now inverted link arm from the stabilizer even goes over the frame bracket pin correctly.

The Top Clamp in essence becomes a "bottom clamp;" now insert handlebars, bolt on a new Top Clamp, and "voila" - underbar mount for the cost of a new Top Clamp.

Yes, the stabilizer is upside down, making it harder to get to the adjustment knob(s). But with a 1/4-1/2" spacer between perch and "bottom clamp", it is not hard to reach under there and move the rubber pointer that is on the adjustment knob.

My goals with sub mounting are to raise the bars (I'm 6'2") - and I have a folding trial map pack attached to the bars that currently rubs on the top of the stabilizer.

A new submount/triple clamp is $250-$330 (depending upon the supplier.) Protect appears to be out of business. So I'm just brainstorming about other alternatives.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff