View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo737 View Post
I have been looking for a new helmet as my current shoei is 5 years old and has done its time.

After doing a bit of research I came across MIPS and 6d designs.

These are revolutionary products and prolly help dirt bikers the most. We all need to avoid concussion, some off us have incomes that rest on our health, so it's doubly important.

Information is scarce apart from the marketing departments of helmet companies.

MIPS is the cheaper but as good tech and it's a licenced design so used by a few companies now and will probably be in every medium to high end helmet soon.

6d is proprietary and requires a larger helmet casing due to the design but is still very worthwhile, it's pricey though.

Fox and One industries just to name two are incorporating MIPS into their high end products at good prices.

I have no affiliation/not sponsored by any bike products (too slow anyways).

More reading, it's from a cycle mag but is vv good.

http://www.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html

I hope it helps you decide.
Great stuff. I jumped on the 6D bandwagon earlier this year, and while I have no intention of testing its' concussion-reducing properties, I'm very happy with it in all other areas of fit, weight, and style.

If a better one comes along (better in terms of rotational acceleration reduction I suppose) I'll be all over it. I don't need to spend money to make my bikes faster, but I will spend it to make me safer.

Best idea yet though is to avoid hitting your head on hard things in the first place - so maybe the best money is spent on riding schools and skills training.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters